Friday 11 May 2012

Walking the flooded Thames

A brief pause in the almost constant rain and a chance to go for a walk along the river - or so I thought.  At Duxford the river was over the bank upstream of the ford and the ford itself had virtually disappeared - the water flow over it left it virtually flat.  I would guess the river was up about 2 foot.  This meant that the footpath downstream of the ford was underwater and it wasn't possible to get much further down.

Following me down to the river were a oldish couple who were apparently there to scatter the man's mother's ashes at Duxford ford.  I think they decided to wait for a better day.  The man looked quite a lot like famous barbel angler Ray Walton, but it probably wasn't him!

So I returned to Hinton and walked down to the lock at Shifford via the path Bernie uses when he comes dow to lay crayfish nets on his quad bike.  The bottom field by the lock was flooded a little - enough to encourage swans to settle on the water and for me to get wet feet walking across the ground.  I took a little bit of video of some of the swims in flood conditions and might have some shots of the same area from back in March when it was desperately low.

A few years back, early summer floods rather washed out the first two months of the fishing season - much as I want rain to keep falling, I also want to be able to get to the river to fish, so a let up in the rain in early June, say, would be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment