Tuesday 8 May 2012

Trout fishing at Barnes Lake - first fishing video

It has rained more or less non stop for the past few weeks.  The rivers are pretty full round here, though the Thames is back within its banks having flooded briefly the other week.  But the main reason to not go trout fishing is that it remains quite cold.  The other day it was just 1 over zero over night - and its May!

I called into Barnes Lake last week for a quick look round and to take some "filler" filming of wildlife and trout rising.  It had looked pretty good then - indeed I should have fished then as the weather deteriorated again the next day and I've had to wait a week for it to clear up enough.  Today was not perfect, but it was the best appearing on the forecast for the next week or so.

My aim today was to try and shoot enough footage to make my first fishing video.  I intend to film most of my trips over the next season, so I need to get started on working out some of the logistics.  My plan was to set up the camera in each spot I fished and then take about 15 mins of video with one or two variations.  Then, depending on what I caught, I would cut it together about 10 minutes or so from it.

I was the only person there when I arrived at around 2:30 and I started on the corner of the smaller lake, where a number of fish seemed to be moving.  I was joined soon after by a guy from Newcastle down here on work and the owner, John Barnes, both of whom interrupted my first clip.  When they'd moved on, I was able to concentrate on fishing the ripples. I had one or two takes which I missed but probably got video footage of.  Some good shots of me casting, with some fish rising on several of the clips. 

About an hour later I switched to the big lake, settle in at the far end with the wind behind me to help with casting.  Quite a few fish rising, but generally a long way out.  Finally, just before 5:00pm, I had a firm take and hooked a fish.  This fought really well, though was perhaps only 2 1/2 lbs or so and hopefully made for some ok video. 

But after that, things went very quiet and the hoped-for evening rise didn't really happen at all.  Yes, some fish were rising but maybe at the rate of one fish a minute when a good evening rise would be over 50 per minute.  I did have a couple more takes which I missed.

I stuck it out till around 8:00, remembering to get a wrap-up clip.  A quick look at the video when I got in and it seems ok.  The one fish I caught is on the film, but the camera wasn't positioned very well for that shot.  Enough to make a movie from though, which I plan to do tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment