Monday 7 May 2012

A detailed examination of a John Wilson fishing programme

One of the many sound pieces of advice which I learnt from reading Go Wild with your Camcorder was that you should watch programme similar to what you are trying to achieve with your own films.  In particular, closely examine the time spent of each shot (surprisingly low), what angle the shots were taken from and whether they were far, mid or close-range.

So today I have made a detailed study of a John Wilson Go Fishing programme on catching grayling on the River Test.  This was an excellent example of what I would like to make, subject to the constraint that I don't have two camera men with me each time I go.

I have discovered that the programme lasted about 22 minutes and contained 193 separate clips of film, an average of just under 7 seconds per clip.  The longest clip was the re-cap clip at the end, 33 seconds, while there were a further 4 clips of 15 seconds or longer.  The shortest clip was 2 seconds, a splashy strike when the float disappeared.  Most clips were 4 to 6 seconds long.

But often there were clearly some extended clips taken from the same spot that were then cut apart afterwards.  And while some of the clips were ones I can't take myself (the occasional pan shot of playing a fish - all my shots are clearly fixed), many of the clips were exactly the sort of view I could take.  For instance, the shot below is the sort of thing I should manage ok.

John Wilson, long trotting for grayling on the River Test

But also by reading Simon King's book Wild Life, his autobiography of his life as a wildlife photographer, I have begun to learn something of the tricks employed in making such films.  Most importantly is the insight that finished films are not made chronologically.  Instead, once an important clip has been obtained, clips are then built to fit around it.

So, for instance, suppose I started off in the position John Wilson is above, and caught a fish long trotting.  I would have taken one long sequence with the video camera.  But having caught a fish, examined it and popped it back, I could then move the camera and take some filler shots from side on, then maybe a few clips from way downstream, including one that looked like I was striking.  Then perhaps I could focus on the float and film just it going down the glide.  And so on.  Then these other clips could be inserted afterwards, though they make it look like a continuous, multi-camera operation. 

Finally, I need some filler clips for each trip.  Clips of me walking the bank, baiting up, etc, or clips of wildlife seen (JW has swans, a buzzard and some sheep, and even some snowdrops).  These are used in the John Wilson programmes to break the sequences of actually catching fish and to mark his move to the next spot.  And I'd need some introductory remarks - where I am, what time of year it is, what I am fishing for, etc.  And maybe some wrap-up remarks.

Such a lot to think about but I am definitely making progress in getting it all straight in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment