Sunday 20 May 2012

Another walk by the Thames

The constant rain of the last few weeks has finally abated and we have had a few days of dry weather.  Getting up at 5:30am on a Sunday morning to walk the river was a bit of a shock but I thought it might enable more wildlife to be seen down there. 

Duxford ford was still very high but the path further downstream was no longer under water, though very slippy.  I was quite surprised by the evidence for how high the water had got - maybe 3 or 4 foot higher than it now is from the silt that had been deposited over the plants growing by the river.  Also I was surprised by the number of big tree branches that had split off from their main tree trunks.  In 3 or 4 places, the path is now effectively blocked.  And much further down, there is now a new tree in the water that could potentially be a very good new fishing spot. 

I had brought a few slices of crust with me, more to examine the floodwater flow than on any expectations that I could persuade a chub to rise.  But much to my surprise, at one spot, I did actually get about a dozen pieces taken.  That was the only spot though where they did seem happy to take it.  I wonder if that is a new potential strategy - floating crust in receding floodwater!

I walked as far as the chapel near the downstream end of the section.  Some swallows or swifts have arrived down there and were feeding over the river.  Attempts to film them in flight failed completely.  Two herons also about but I couldn't get near enough to them, and a pair of tufted ducks - the first I've seen this year. 

I did take some more video, mainly for a possible short film showing various spots back in March when the river was low in comparison with now when it is just past the peak flood.  But I didn't walk all the way round to the hide at Chimney this time. 

The weather is supposed to continue improving and we may get some sunshine this week.  I might be able to have an afternoon / evening trout fishing and quite fancy Bushyleaze this time.  Maybe Tuesday or Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment