Wednesday 9 May 2012

First fishing video - "My Fishing life 1"

Producing my first fishing video started with a review of yesterday's footage - all 180 minutes of it.  Shots showing me casting well were highlighted, some bits of me fishing with bird song on them in the background, shots with fish rising and, in one case, jumping, the actual capture of a fish, various filler shots, and so on.

Gradually a structure for the clip came together.  The introduction is fine, there are some ok clips with me casting to rising fish, or the one jumper.  Then I switch to the other lake, finally catching the one fish of the day.  Shame this bit of the film has a poorly positioned camera angle.  The filler shots are ok as well.  I decided to not bother with music this time, but I did use some captions.  Also I was quite pleased to have hit on the idea of using a neutral clip of me casting for the title page and end page.

I am getting slightly better at edited as well, eventually producing a video of 13 mins 11s in about two hours.  As I write this, my video is slowly being uploaded to youtube, something which seems to take ages.

So what did I learn from film 1?  Well I did notice that my fly casting technique needs some work.  I am letting the rod slip back too far and not loading it properly for the forward cast.  And I don't have the rod low enough when I'm retrieving. 

And in respect of the movie?  I do need to concentrate on getting the shot well framed.  I could usefully have a notebook going as I film so I can find the interesting bits a bit easier than viewing it all.  And I need to do something to improve the sound.  And buy a second memory card so I can record 6 hours instead of 3.  And keep a notebook while fishing.

Finally, I did make one mistake initially, which was to prepare the initial upload in 4:3 format rather than 16:9, which is the youtube format and which I did shoot the actual footage in.  So the project did have to be uploaded twice before I got it to look correct on youtube.  If you do prepare the video in the wrong sizing format, then youtube displays a black border around the movie and it is relatively small on the standard screen.  Five minutes to fix, but another 6 hours to upload (we have such low upload speeds out here in the country!)

But overall, I'm actually rather pleased with the film.  Roll on the next trip.  Here is the video link

http://www.savetubevideo.com/?v=g6gAdwwNTx0

My first fish caught on camera - rainbow trout of about 2 1/2lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment