Monday 14 May 2012

Tentative goals for the new season

Much of my thinking about fishing for the new season has been driven by my planned filming. Within these filming plans, a tentative list of goals / venues is beginning to form.

I expect most of my fishing to take place on the Thames between Duxford and Bablock Hythe persuing chub and barbel - about 4 miles of river, with four or five distinct venues. Northmoor weir is one of my first planned venues on the theory that, early season, fish will like the well oxygenated water. This might be where I first try a "bait and wait", two-rod approach for the first time.

Other nearby venues include the Evenlode and Windrush, both of which I plan to fish for barbel on during July and August, though the chances of catching anything at either venue are not high.

Further afield, I have a couple of stretches of the Kennet which I want to fish a dozen times or so over the summer.

Finally, two rivers that I only plan to fish two or three times each - private stretches of the Hampshire Avon (after a huge chub or barbel) and the Frome (after a personal best grayling).

One other possibility might be to go trout fishing in the Lake District - I thought I might try one trip on Esthwaite Water and maybe one trip to one of the high tarns after tiny wild brownies. I will also do a couple of fly fishing trips to Barnes Lake and Bushyleaze.

I have been studying the various issues involved in filming these trips and am beginning to get an idea about what I am really trying to achieve with this. I am intending to shoot all trips, blanks and all, but perhaps edit consecutive blanks together into shorter clips. This way, the videos will be a complete diary. I am also going to try and film a number of fishing techniques, including things like floating crust for chub, so the films have a good level of variety. My goal is to make somewhere around 50 films in 35 weeks. That is hugely ambitious I suspect.

No comments:

Post a Comment