Wednesday 11 July 2012

Newest video - "Rain"

It was only when I was watching the video footage from last night that I realised how odd it looks in many respects.  For much of the time I am touch ledgering, but also watching the quivertip.  And so I was not always fully aware of the extent to which I was being rained on.  Actually some of the rain is extremely hard!

I wonder if my youtube videos will still exist in cyberspace in, say, 200 years time.  By then, climate change, pollution or something might have wiped out fish stocks and angling might be a sport of the distant past.  A cyber-historian might come across a dusty old server in a back room somewhere and when fired up, might discover my fishing videos.  And so he will discover what our wonderful sport had to offer - sitting in nettles for hours at a time as the rain pelts down, watching a stationary rod tip and not catching any fish.

In these postmodern times, my latest fishing video is, perhaps, the perfect embodiment of the sport.  Or perhaps not.  Or, as Gilles Deleuze** put it, in a passage I selected at random from Cinema 2,

The sheets of past exist, they are strata from where we draw our recollection images.  But either they are in any case unusable, because death is a permanent present, the most contracted region; or they can no longer be recalled because they are breaking up or becoming twisted, scattered in a non-stratified substance (p.111)

** French Professor of Philosophy and a key figure in poststructualism.  Cinema 2 draws on the work of Henri Bergson to offer an analysis of the representation of time in film and the cinematic treatment of memory, thought and speech.  Most of it is bollocks of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Css8XBwIj4&feature=plcp

No comments:

Post a Comment