Friday 6 July 2012

The excellent "Fishing for memories" blog / videos

There are dozens of fishing blogs out there of course, and some, like mine, are linked to companion video channels on Youtube.  The one of these I like best is Mark Erdwin's Fishing for Memories (http://fishing-for-memories.blogspot.co.uk/)  I have been studying this blog-video channel in some detail, looking at what he does differently to me, looking for ideas I can use, and so on. 

One of the first big differences is frequency of posting.  Mark's blog goes back to 2007 and has 103 postings so far, 17 a year on average.  I have posted 75 entries in 2012 alone.  He has posted 37 videos in that time, while I have posted 8 in just the last few months.  This could be that this is the frequency that he fishes, but I actually suspect it is because he is happy to post only when he has a good catch or some interesting film.  That's fair enough, and there is no doubt that it leads to an exceptionally high quality blog and video channel - he is an excellent angler with some amazing catches - I am of course mostly interested in his amazing chub catches.

My philosophy is slightly different but shares the view that my blog and video channel are there to preserve memories.  So I have taken the view that I should post regardless of success and try, over the entire sequence of entries and videos, to show what "my fishing life" actually consists of day-to-day, week-to-week, and so on.  So my current poor start to the season is shown, "warts and all". 

So when I'm 90, I will be able to watch myself in my late 40s blanking in a variety of venues while pursuing huge chub and barbel!

I have downloaded all of Mark's videos and am slowly working my way through them - really excellent stuff I have to say.

1 comment:

  1. Mark has a great blog and I like his video's, how are you getting along?

    ReplyDelete