Sunday 24 June 2012

At last, a decent sized fish!

I've missed four days when I could have gone fishing as a result of my bad eye, but things have been getting better since Wednesday and I thought it worthwhile to take a little chance and go first thing this morning for a couple of hours.  The venue was carefully chosen so I was not too far from my car if the eye flaired up again and I had to make a speedy getaway.  It was also north-facing so I wouldn't have to squint into the sun.  I also had eye wash and savlon with me should I get a slight twinge in the eye.  No more wiping with rough tissues or cotton wool pads.

So I managed to make it down at the river at 4:30 this morning.  There had been more rain during the day yesterday and overnight and some of the ditches were already pouring water into the river.  After a couple of days of what have probably been quite good conditions, and which I'd missed, it might have been that today would be another tough day with a rising river.

Today's plan was to fish just one swim, a long glide that has produced plenty of big chub in the past.  I would be float fishing sweetcorn, with hemp seed as an additional attractor.  Four or five catapults full of each went into the swim when I arrived with regular top ups every couple of casts - classic trotting tactics of course.

It took about 30 minutes to produce the first fish and what a fish.  After what has been a very poor start to my river-fishing season, my first decent sized fish is a chub of 5-05 1/2.  A really lovely conditioned fish given that it is only June and a possible high five, low six later this year I would think.

I would have expected maybe one or two more fish over the next couple of hours, but though I may have had at least one more bite, I didn't in fact manage any more.  There were two or three brief showers and then a longer period of rain and by about 8:00 I was ready to call it a day. 

And just as importantly, my eye seemed fine.  So maybe I can try a couple of more days this week (weather permitting).

Back home and a rather exciting look at the video I shot, which does contain decent footage of the chub being caught.  So after a few trips where I haven't managed much, my 2012/13 season is well and truly off and running I would say. 

The video of the trip is at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgllwkTuHaM&feature=plcp


Better than my usual fishing photo!  A still from the video

No comments:

Post a Comment