Saturday 24 June 2017

Saturday June 17th

My wife is away visiting her parents in Norfolk and I have the opening weekend of the fishing season free.  My plan was to visit the river early on the Saturday morning and put some bait in, then fish in the evening.  One problem is that I haven't got my bait organised yet and so have no hemp seed, the staple of my fishing.  What I have instead is some sweetcorn, some small fish meal pellets and some 15mm fish meal boilies.

So I got to the river around 6:00 and it did look very good.  I put a couple of handfuls of sweetcorn into a couple of gravel runs and a mix of pellets and boilies into two other swims, and then went for a walk.  When I got back 90 mins later, things looked quite promising.  There were bream on one of the sweetcorn swims and chub and bream in the other.  And there were chub and two or three carp in the pellet / boilie swim.

In fact, I was rather excited by the appearance of the carp and have decided that they would be the focus of my first evening.  Back home mid-morning and I spent the rest of the day sorting out tackle and then was ready to return to the river around 5:00.  It was a swelteringly hot day, so I didn't want to get there too early.

Peeping into one of the pellet / boilie swims when I arrived, and there was a carp still in residence.  I had intended to re-bait all the swims when I first got here, but was tempted by seeing if the carp would take a boilie straight away.  The answer to that was, no!  At one point it did rather surprise me by rolling directly in front of me, but it wasn't keen to take my bait.  A shame as it was perhaps 15lbs.

So I did re-bait with pellets and boilies and then settled in the first sweetcorn swim for the early part of the evening.  Over the next couple of hours I caught a number of chub (biggest just under 4lbs) and a couple of bream (biggest just under 5lbs)  A very pleasant early part of the evening.


Fishing the sweetcorn swim

Back in the boilie swim and no sign of the carp.  But I thought I would just put out a bait on the pellets and wait and see.  The result was two more bream, the biggest of which was 5-07.  Years ago, while fishing the Cherwell, I caught a huge river bream of over 11lbs, and am not totally against fishing for them.  But they are not my main interest.


Battling a bream from the boilie swim 

All 5-07 of it


I took some video footage and might make up a film (if I can remember how to edit the footage and how to upload it, etc)

No comments:

Post a Comment